Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Work and no play...I don't think so.

Summer like weather came our way after Mother's Day and busy bees we were!  Work, work work!  Anyone who loves being outside and fiddling around in the yard knows the work is pure enjoyment.  Right now it is all about getting your plantings in so there will be something to celebrate when it comes time to harvest.  Get the seedlings in that were started months ago and get to the nursery to pick up starter plants that there was no time or preparation to grow from seed. Phew!
It isn't really work though when you love working in the garden. There is so much beauty sprouting up in a spring garden when you stop for a moment to take it all in.

The tall, bearded, purple iris is in bloom putting on a colorful show.  I must have gotten these some 15-20 years ago when a friend was thinning her garden and shared them with me.  I am guessing that they might be the Grape Parfait variety.  How about a summer treat called a Grape Parfait to enjoy while lounging on the patio?

  


The cool weather plants are growing by leaps and bounds.  My lettuce garden varieties are coming in and the loose leaf is ready to use in a salad.

 
 


The broccoli and brussels sprout  are pretty to look at while we wait for our first bite.



The onions, scallions and shallots are like green spires coming from the ground.



On Sunday I got my side kick husband to build a strawberry pyramid for me.  The strawberry starters I planted in the early spring never came up.  Either I planted the crown too deep or all of them were too old.  Job done!  He's such a cutie handyman.  We filled it with Everbearing Strawberries.  Keep your fingers crossed!





After work on Monday I ran over to Saunoris Garden Center in Frankfort, Il. picked up and planted some starter plants I needed.  http://www.saunorisgardencenter.com/ 
Now I have to plant my cucumber seeds.  I have the 
day off from work on Tuesday and if the weather cooperates that is where I will be, playing in the 
garden.  See you there!     

GRAPE PARFAIT

4 servings

Ingredients 


3 cups of plain yogurt
3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
1-½ tablespoons grape jelly
1-½ cups granola
2 cups of your favorite grapes

Directions

Wash the grapes. Using a sharp paring knife, peel them, slice them in half and remove the seeds if they are not seedless variety. Set aside.

In a bowl, combine the yogurt, condensed milk and grape jelly.

I usually serve granola parfaits in clear glasses so you can still see each layer. The size of the glass depends on the appetite of the eater!

Be organized. Line up the glasses. Spoon a few grapes into each glass. Create an even layer. Cover with yogurt. Top with granola. Create another layer with yogurt. Fill with the remaining grapes. Smooth the surface. Repeat the same layers until you reach the top of the glass. Top with a few grapes and a teaspoon of granola.

Serve immediately.


Tips

I added Concord grape jelly for added flavor to the yogurt. You could omit this ingredient if you'd like the parfait to be less sweet.   I added condensed milk so the yogurt would become thicker. If you add other sweeteners, the consistency will become runny and the granola will turn soggy.

Published By: Jacqueline Pham on October 8, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment