Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Father's Day 2013



I want to extend a belated Happy  Father's Day to all the dads out there.  I hope everyone had some time to visit with their dad or to spend some reflective thought about him if you were not able to be with him.  My dad died young when I was only 8 years old but I enjoy the memories I have of him.

So the weather forecast for the weekend was off a bit which made my weekend weather outlook in my last post sound chilly and wet. Saturday afternoon leaving work it was 78 degrees and clearing with sun.  Who could ask for more on a spring day? I could!  Ask and you shall receive.  The forecast for Father's Day was mid to high 80's with sun and yes, humidity, but of course, it's Chicago.
The weather was perfect for a family visit.  I was  outsideNinside on Father's Day.  I was inside mixing up burgers for grilling outside.  The Dad in this house likes to keep it simple, so burgers on the grill and simple sides like a fresh garden salad and of course some chips or potato salad are what he requested.






 We have 4 kids and some have jobs that require them to work Saturdays and Sundays but those that don't work weekends can come for the BBQ.  My 94 year old mother will be there and my brother and my sister in law too.  That menu will be perfect for an open house visit from the kids.  Don't
forget boccie ball competitions!
 


 


 Bloody Mary's to start the day for some and moving on to homemade White Sangria.  My daughter loves to work in the kitchen and she cut up fresh apples, strawberries, pears and blueberries and added it to the white wine.
 
While we sat outside enjoying a lovely day, the garden pictures tell all that is booming in the garden!
 

 

 

 

 


I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection.
-Sigmund Freud

1 comment: